Sunday, August 16, 2009

Dah tak zaman main bola..

Football or Powerman?

AUG 13 — It’s off topic a little as I share my exploits during two recent weekends. On July 25, I was at Uniten to witness the Malakoff Universities Duathlon Series (MUDS).

For the just-initiated, namely yours truly, this is a 3km run-13km bike ride-3km run multi-sport event. Why was I there?

Well, since last August, I have taken to road cycling and have been doing it twice a week and, naturally, I wanted to see if I could perhaps get into some competition in the future. I somehow ended up emceeing the whole event and the next as well.

Anyway, it’s not all about me . . . but what humbled me were the efforts of a 14-year-old.

Under the blistering sun, the race took off at 9am, Mohammed Dayan Kalam walked, ran and cycled the whole route in 1hr 37min and 4 seconds . This cherubic kid showed great heart, determination and guts and was oblivious to the world as he cycled past the finish line.

I hailed his arrival at the finish line again on the following Saturday, on Aug 1, at University Malaya as though he had just scored the goal that had won us the SEA Games gold medal in Laos after a lapse of 20 years. This was the toughest cycling route in the series.

I had the pleasure, if you want to call it that, of riding the treacherous route or, in my own famous description, “One Hill, Four Climbs”, on the Friday night before and it is only for the brave. What Dayan demonstrated, I have not seen in my entire football career.

Would any modern-day footballer come out to play at 9am in our weather conditions? Not at all.

What I saw on the two consecutive Saturdays was truly a whole different world. Participants of varying age groups putting themselves through pain in their effort to excel.

And what do they do to prepare themselves? Yes, they put themselves through more pain. But the love of the sport keeps them motivated and their passion is undeniable.

These amateur athletes are a credit to their sport as professional sports decline at an alarming rate.

I had a very successful playing career over an 18-year period but I am truly humbled at what I saw and they tell me, wait till Powerman comes along with a 11km run-64km bike ride-10km run!

I would seriously like our professional footballers to perhaps witness at least one duathlon meet to see where they stand or rather see the true story of guts and glory.

-------------------------------------------------

Walaupon gua makin slightly overweight tapi wa support powerman.Go Go powerman!


1 comment:

bola2api said...

gua rasa yg penting is mental strength orang tu. kalo dia nak succeed, mesti dia akan buat sampai abis. tak kira la powerman ker, running ker, apa ker.. termasuklah menurunkan berat badan..

ini, kalo diorang pikir, main bola penat2 tapi kelab tak bayo, itu yg diorang tak semangat nak main.. n bila baru half-time diorang dah pikir takleh nak beat lawan.. maka baiklah diorang balik tido je. coz when you think you will lose, you have already lost..

thanks for visiting my blog